Friday 16 May 2014

Mr Turner the movie and the exciting opportunity for the maritime art world

I came across a trailer for the new film about the life of JMW Turner which is due to be released in October later on this year. Here is the link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturevideo/filmvideo/cinema-trailers/10830774/Mr-Turner-watch-the-first-trailer-of-Mike-Leighs-JMW-Turner-biopic.html . It was a fascinating insight into the film and has already excited me about the potential impact this will have on the popularity of maritime art. I have recently been reading a book on Turner's painting 'The Fighting Temeraire' and the quick glimpse of Clarkson Stanfield suggesting to Turner that the HMS Temeraire would be a good theme for a painting was particularly striking. Through immortalising Turner as one of Britain's greatest ever artists can only be good for his rivals such as Stanfield, Edward Cooke, David Roberts, and Augustus Callcott who are all cast in the new film (see this list: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2473794/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast).

I am interested to see the effect this film will have on the maritime art market, as well as how the whole film shapes up. From the trailer I think it has plenty of potential to appeal to quite a wide market. What do people think of it? What would you like to see in the film and what impact on maritime art do you think it will have?


3 comments:

  1. Absolutely curious to see the movie when it comes out! I am thrilled by the trailer and am excited to see how the director takes it. As you say, I hope it does wonders for the lost treasures of British Art, specifically the Maritime Masters. I look forward to the release. I would be most grateful if you could perhaps do a movie review when it is released to suggest things to look out for and so on for the untrained eye like myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very good idea! I will definitely do a review and point out the different artists in the film as the cast has quite a few maritime art greats. I will also keep a look out for further trailers. Lastly, the Guardian have a very encouraging review of the film from the Cannes festival http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/may/15/mr-turner-cannes-review-mike-leigh-2014 , they gave it 5 stars so I think it could be one of the films of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Many thanks. Already excited for its release.

    ReplyDelete